In comics and on television, the Caped Crusader and the Man of Steel have a friendship that stretches back decades. From the pages of The World’s Finest through to episodes of Super Friends, the friendship, trust and respect that exists between the two characters is legendary.
But what about when it comes to the big screen? When did Batman and Superman first meet on film? Have they had lots of adventures together or are their cinematic pairings few and far between?
In this post I will answer a heap of questions about Batman & Superman on the big screen, including the all-important question, what Batman movies feature Superman?
Let’s take a look.
What was the first Superman film?
Although Superman appeared in a theatrical serial in 1948, Superman’s first feature-length adventure was the 1951 black and white movie, Superman and the Mole Men. The role of Clark Kent/Superman was played by George Reeves, who would also play the part in the television series, Adventures of Superman.
What was the first Batman film?
As with Superman, Batman appeared in movie serials during the 1940s, including 1943’s The Batman and 1949’s Batman and Robin. However, the Caped Crusader’s feature-length debut came in 1966 with Batman: The Movie, which starred Adam West – the same actor who played the role on the Batman TV series.
Was Superman mentioned in Batman: The Movie or was Batman mentioned in Superman and the Mole Men?
No. Neither character was mentioned in their colleague’s movies. The pictures existed as separate entities with no crossover to the wider DC Universe whatsoever.
When was the first time that Batman was mentioned in a Superman movie?
The first time Batman was mentioned in a Superman movie was 2013’s Man of Steel, in a blink-and-you’ll miss it moment. During a fight scene between Superman and General Zod, the Wayne Enterprises logo could be seen on the side of a satellite. This reference to Bruce Wayne was a subtle nod to Batman’s existence.
What was the first time that Superman was mentioned in a Batman movie?
The first time Superman was referenced in a Batman movie, was during Batman Forever (1995) when Bruce Wayne mentioned that “the circus must be halfway to Metropolis by now”. This was during a conversation with Dick Grayson and was a reference to Superman’s home city.
The first time the character was specifically mentioned was during the opening moments of Batman & Robin (1997), when the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder exchanged words about the Batmobile.
Robin: “I want a car. Chicks dig the car.”
Batman: “This is why Superman works alone.”
What was the first time Batman and Superman appeared on the big screen together?
The first time Batman and Superman appeared in the same movie was during 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the sequel to Man of Steel. In this film Ben Affleck played the role of Batman opposite Henry Cavill as Superman.
What Batman movies feature Superman?
To date, only two live-action movies feature both Batman and Superman. The movies are Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League (2017).
What animated movies feature Batman and Superman?
Many. While Batman and Superman rarely share screen time in live-action feature films, they regularly appear together in animation.
Animated films that feature Batman and Superman include:
- Justice League: The New Frontier (2008)
- Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)
- Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)
- Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010)
- Justice League: Doom (2012)
- The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 (2012)
- The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2 (2013)
- Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite (2013)
- Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)
- JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time (2014)
- Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered (2014)
- Justice League: War (2014)
- The Lego Movie (2014)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Attack of the Legion of Doom (2015)
- Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015)
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015)
- Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Gotham City Breakout (2016)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Cosmic Clash (2016)
- The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
- Justice League Dark (2017)
- Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017)
- Teen Titans GO! to the Movies (2018)
- The Death of Superman (2018)
- Reign of the Supermen (2019)
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)
- Justice League vs. the Fatal Five (2019)
- Batman Hush (2019)
- Superman: Red Son (2020)
As you can see, it is an extensive list of movies and one that continues to grow. The main reason for this is because far more animated movies are produced when compared to live action, providing Batman and Superman with more opportunities to team up.
Thanks for dropping by I’ll Get Drive-Thru to read this post. You may also like to take a look at my post ‘Five best Justice League movies’, which provides further information about DC team-up tales.