If you have stumbled across this post you are probably asking one question in particular: Is Batman Returns a Christmas movie? Does the picture fall into the category of a festive film?
In this post I will highlight the Christmas references in Batman Returns, to decide whether this picture is classed as a Christmas movie or not.
Batman Returns and Christmas
Let’s take a look at some of the Christmas references in Batman Returns.
- As Batman Returns opens, the Warner Bros. Pictures logo fades to reveal a snowy Gotham.
- The opening scene takes place at the Cobblepot mansion, where a Christmas tree can be viewed, indicating it is the festive season.
- Following the titles sequence, the story shifts forward 33 years, where once again it is Christmas time. This is indicated by various Christmas iconography, including snow, Christmas lights, a man dressed as Santa Claus, and a Christmas tree in central Gotham.
- Alfred Pennyworth is seen walking through Gotham City carrying Christmas presents.
- Ten minutes into the film, Max Shreck gives a speech to the citizens of Gotham City. He hands out Christmas gifts and stands in front of the Christmas tree in Gotham City.
- The Red Triangle Gang arrive in Gotham City, to disrupt Shreck’s speech. The gang conceal their entrance by hiding inside a giant Christmas present.
- Around 35 minutes into the film, Alfred is seen decorating a Christmas tree at Wayne Manor.
- A tree lighting ceremony takes place in Gotham City.
- Approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes into Batman Returns, Batman and Catwoman discuss mistletoe. This conversation is later referenced towards the end of the movie.
- During the final moments of Batman Returns, Alfred and Bruce Wayne wish each other a merry Christmas.
In addition to the above, there are a number of references in the dialogue, as well as visual nods to indicate the festive period. Throughout the entirety of the movie it is also made clear (from clothing that Gothamites wear) that it is winter and Christmas is fast approaching.
So, is Batman Returns a Christmas movie?
Yes – it is very clear that Batman Returns is a Christmas movie. Unlike some films which make slight references to Christmas, to suggest they take place during this particular period of the year, it is very apparent that Batman Returns is set throughout the holidays.
Is Batman Returns specifically about Christmas? Well, that is open to debate – after all, what does a film have to discuss to be about Christmas?
Ultimately, Batman Returns features various reference to the holiday season and is very much a Christmas movie. Director Tim Burton intended to make a Batman movie set at Christmas and that is exactly what he achieved.
I hope this information has proved useful to you. Should you want further information about the Batman movies, please take a look around I’ll Get Drive-Thru or read one of the recommended reads below.
- What is the best order for the Catwoman movies?
- What is Scooby-Doo meets Batman?
- Is Catwoman part of the Batman Anthology?