In 1966, Batman: The Movie ker-powed(!) its way into cinemas to become the first feature-length Batman film. The movie – a spin-off of the Adam West Batman TV show – brought the Caped Crusader to a wide audience and kick-started Batman’s motion picture career.
But how many Batman movies are there?
The Batman films in order
The Batman movie series is extensive and includes a mix of live-action and animated adventures. Some of these tales are solo Batman films, while others feature the Dark Knight as a supporting character.
The series also includes Batman-related movies, such as Catwoman, Joker, Birds of Prey, which don’t necessarily include the Caped Crusader, but are based on characters who are closely associated with Batman (Harley Quinn, Joker etc).
Here is a list of every Batman movie:
- Batman: The Movie (1966)
- Batman (1989)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
- Batman Forever (1995)
- Batman & Robin (1997)
- Batman: Subzero (1998)
- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
- Catwoman (2004)*
- Batman Begins (2005)
- The Batman vs Dracula (2005)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- Justice League: The New Frontier (2008)
- Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
- Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)
- Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)
- Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010)
- Under the Red Hood (2010)
- Batman: Year One (2011)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Justice League: Doom (2012)
- The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 (2012)
- The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2 (2013)
- Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)
- Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite (2013)
- JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time (2014)
- Justice League: War (2014)
- Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered (2014)
- Son of Batman (2014)
- Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014)
- The Lego Movie (2014)
- Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015)
- Batman vs. Robin (2015)
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015)
- Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (2015)
- Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Attack of the Legion of Doom (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Gotham City Breakout (2016)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Cosmic Clash (2016)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
- Suicide Squad (2016)
- Batman Unlimited: Mech vs. Mutants (2016)
- Batman: Bad Blood (2016)
- Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016)
- Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)
- Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016)
- Justice League (2017)
- Justice League Dark (2017)
- The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
- Batman and Harley Quinn (2017)
- Batman vs. Two-Face (2017)
- Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (2018)
- Batman Ninja (2018) – Japanese and American editions
- The Death of Superman (2018)
- Teen Titans GO! To the Movies (2018)
- Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2018)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: The Flash (2018)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Aquaman – Rage of Atlantis (2018)
- Joker (2019)*
- Reign of the Supermen (2019)
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)
- Justice League vs. the Fatal Five (2019)
- Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2019)
- Lego Batman: Family Matters (2019)
- Batman Hush (2019)
- Superman: Red Son (2020)
- Birds of Prey (2020)*
- Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020)
- Lego DC: Shazam! Magic and Monsters (2020)
- A Death in the Family (2020)
- The Suicide Squad (2021)*
- Batman: Soul of the Dragon (2021)
- Batman: Long Halloween – Part 1 (2021)
- Batman: Long Halloween – Part 2 (2021)
- Injustice (2021)
- The Flash (2022)
- The Batman (2022)
Please note: All movies which include an asterisk (*) are Batman-related films, but do not actually feature Batman in the movie.
Are all of the Batman movies part of the same series?
The Batman movie series is expansive and includes a mix of different continuities. For a guide to the continuities within the live-action Batman movie series, please read: Can the Batman movies be watched in any order? For the animated films, I recommend reading: The best order to watch animated Batman films.
Who are the actors who have played Batman?
The list of actors who have played Batman continues to expand with each new entry. Notable actors to have played the Caped Crusader in live-action and animation including, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Robert Pattinson, Kevin Conroy, Diedrich Bader, Will Arnett, Jason O’Mara, and Peter Weller, amongst others.
What is the best Batman movie?
According to IMDb Joker and The Dark Knight are the highest rated Batman movies.
- Joker (2019) – 9.4/10
- The Dark Knight (2008) – 9/10
Both of these movies are also Academy Award winning films, in which the actors playing the Joker won awards for the role.
I hope this information about the Batman film series has proved useful. Should you wish to know more about the Batman movie series, please check out one of the recommended reads below.
- Ten best Batman movies
- Joker ‘stair dance’ – the most stressful scene to film
- How much money did the Batman Anthology movies make?