The Penguin is one of Batman’s most iconic villains, up there with Catwoman, Joker, and the Riddler. The character has been a thorn in the Caped Crusader’s side since he made his comic book debut in 1941 (via Detective Comics issue #58), and has appeared in various iterations of the Batman mythology, from games to cartoons and of course movies.
But how many Batman movies feature the Penguin?
Every Batman movie featuring the Penguin
The Penguin made his movie debut in the 1966 big screen adventure, Batman: The Movie. In this feature-length TV spin-off, the character was played by Burgess Meredith, who reprised his role from the television show.
Twenty-six years would then pass before the Penguin reappeared on the big screen, but when he did he was simply unforgettable. Danny DeVito took on the part, for a gruesome interpretation in Tim Burton’s Batman Returns (1992).
The Penguin’s next movie appearance was in animation, first in 2003’s Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, then in 2005’s The Batman vs Dracula. From here, the character continued to crop up sporadically in animated Batman movies, with a number of actors providing voice over duties, including most notably Tom Kenny.
Following a lengthy stint in cartoons, the Penguin switched back to live-action for 2022’s The Batman. Here the character will be played by Colin Farrell.
If you are interested in checking out past interpretations of Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin, here is a list of all of the Penguin’s movie appearances:
- Batman: The Movie (1966)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
- The Batman vs Dracula (2005)
- Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite (2013)
- Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered (2014)
- Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Attack of the Legion of Doom (2015)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League – Gotham City Breakout (2016)
- Batman Unlimited: Mech vs. Mutants (2016)
- Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016)
- The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
- Batman vs. Two-Face (2017)
- Batman Ninja (2018) – Japanese and American editions
- Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2018)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: The Flash (2018)
- Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2019)
- Lego Batman: Family Matters (2019)
- Batman: The Long Halloween – Part 2 (2021)
- The Batman (2022)
- Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham (2023)
I hope this list of Penguin movie appearances has proved useful. Should you want further information about characters appearing in the Batman movie series, please take a look around I’ll Get Drive-Thru, or alternatively check out one of the recommended reads below.
Leave a Reply