On September 5th 1992, Batman: The Animated Series made its television debut, introducing the world to a new take on the Caped Crusader via one of the best-loved TV shows of all-time. But it wasn’t just a new series that arrived that day, it was also the beginning of an animated universe – the DC Animated Universe.
From Batman: The Animated Series through various spinoff shows and movies, the DC Animated Universe rapidly expanded to become a sprawling universe filled with sensational stories and colourful characters. But how do you follow it? If you’re new to this corner of DC, what is the best order to watch the DC Animated Universe?
Here’s an easy to follow guide of what to watch and when to watch it. I have included all of the shows, shorts, webseries, and movies to provide an easy-to-follow run-through of the DCAU.
The DC Animated Universe timeline order
- Batman: The Animated Series (1992) – Episode one: On Leather Wings to Episode 31: The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
- Batman: The Animated Series (1992 – 1993) Episode 32: Robin’s Reckoning: Part 1 to Episode 65: The Worry Men
- The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1994 – 1995) Episode 66: Sideshow to Episode 85: Batgirl Returns
- Batman Black and White motion comic short: Two of a Kind (2008)
- Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero (1998)
- Superman: The Animated Series (1996 – 1998) Episode one: The Last Son of Krypton Part 1 to Episode 41: Little Girl Lost Part 2
- The New Batman Adventures (1997) Episode two: Sins of the Father
- The New Batman Adventures (1997) Episode eight: Growing Pains
- The New Batman Adventures (1997) Episode one: Holiday Knights to Episode 24: Judgement Day
- Chase Me (2003) animated Catwoman short
- Gotham Girls Season One (2000) Episode one: The Vault to Episode ten: Lady-X
- Lobo web series (2000) Episode one: Lobo is a Four Letter Word to Episode 14: Repeating Offender
- Gotham Girls Season Two (2001) Episode one: Hold That Tiger to Episode ten: I’m Badgirl
- Gotham Girls Season Three (2002) Episode one: Ms.-ing in Action to Episode ten: Cold Hands, Cold Heart
- Superman: The Animated Series (1998) Episode 42: Where There’s Smoke to Episode 54: Legacy Part Two
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
- Static Shock Season One (2000 – 2001) Episode one: Shock to the System to Episode 13: Tantrum
- Justice League Season One (2001 – 2002) Episode one: Secret Origins Part One to Episode 26: The Savage Time Part Three
- Static Shock Season Two/Three (2002 – 2003) Episode 14: The Big Leagues to Episode 29: The Usual Suspect
- Justice League Season Two (2003 – 2004) Episode 27: Twilight Part One to Episode 49: Comfort and Joy
- Static Shock Season Three (2003) Episode 30: A League of Their Own – Part One to Episode 31: A League of Their Own – Part Two
- Justice League Season Two (2003 – 2004) Episode 50: Starcrossed – Part One to Episode 52: Starcrossed Part Three
- Static Shock Season Three/Four (2003 – 2004) Episode 32: Showtime to Episode 52: Power Outage
- Justice League Unlimited Season One/Two (2004 – 2005) Episode 1: Initiation to Episode 25: Divided We Fall (but not Episode 26: Epilogue)
- Justice League Unlimited Season Three (2005 – 2006) Episode 27: I Am Legion to Episode 39: Destroyer
- Batman Beyond Season One (1999) Episode one: Rebirth Part 1 to Part 13: Ascension
- Batman Beyond (2014) Batman 75th Anniversary short
- Batman Beyond Season Two (1999 – 2000) Episode 14: Splicers to Episode 39: Ace in the Hole
- The Zeta Project Season One/Two (2001 – 2002) Episode one: The Accomplice to Episode seven: Hicksburg
- Batman Beyond Season Three (2000 – 2001) Episode 41: Kings Ransom to Episode 52: Unmasked
- The Zeta Project Season One/Two (2001 – 2002) Episode eight: Shadows to Episode 26: The Hologram Man
- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
- Justice League Unlimited Season Two (2005) Episode 26: Epilogue
Not included in the DCAU timeline
If you’re familiar with the DCAU you might be wondering why a few movies are missing from the above timeline. The missing movies are as follows:
- Superman: Brainiac Attacks (2006)
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015)
- Batman and Harley Quinn (2017)
- Justice League vs. The Fatal Five (2019)
So, why are these films missing from the DCAU timeline? Simple: They are not part of the timeline.
The above movies are inspired by the DCAU, going so far as to use the same animation style, but they are not part of the universe. The films contain various contradictory elements which stop them from being included in the DCAU.
Should you watch them anyway? It is entirely up to you – but if you do watch them, simply view them as existing in an alternate version of the DCAU.
Thank you for dropping by I’ll Get Drive-Thru to read this post about the viewing order for the DCAU. Should you want further information about the Batman movie series, please take a look around this blog or check out one of the recommended reads below.