In 1992, Warner Bros. produced the television show, Batman: The Animated Series. The show – which featured Kevin Conroy in the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman – was hugely successful and kick-started an entire universe known as the DC Animated Universe (DCAU).
The DCAU would include multiple shows (Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League etc), as well as a number of spin-offs including animated movies. One of these movies was Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman.
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman was produced by Warner Bros. Animation as a direct-to-DVD/VHS release to tie-in with the animation style of the final season of Batman: The Animated Series. The film acted as a standalone tale, introducing a new character to the Batman mythology.
Although originally released on DVD and VHS, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman has since been made available for purchase in a digital format and on Blu-ray. However, rather bizarrely, it was not included in the Batman: The Animated Series complete Blu-ray boxset.
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman has a running time of 75 minutes.
What happens in Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman?
A mysterious new heroine arrives in Gotham City and no one knows who she is, including the Batman. But as the Caped Crusader sets to work trying to solve her identity, he soon finds he has other problems on his hands, when the Penguin, Bane, and Rupert Thorne engage in illegal activity.
Is Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman suitable for children?
In the UK, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman carries a 12 certificate, which according to the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) means the film contains “material that is not generally suitable for children aged under 12.”
In the US, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman carries a PG rating. According to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), a PG “may contain some material parents might not like for their young children.”
Who are the cast of Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman?
- Bruce Wayne/Batman – Kevin Conroy
- Tim Drake/Robin – Eli Marienthal
- Barbara Gordon – Tara Strong
- Alfred Pennyworth – Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
- Commissioner Gordon – Bob Hastings
- Harvey Bullock – Robert Costanzo
- Rupert Thorne – John Vernon
- Penguin – David Ogden Stiers
- Bane – Héctor Elizondo
- Kathy Duquesne – Kimberly Brooks
- Dr. Roxanne Ballantine – Kelly Ripa
- Detective Sonia Alcana – Elisa Gabrielli
- Batwoman – Kyra Sedgwick
Many of the cast members of Batman: The Animated Series reprise their roles for Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman. However, David Ogden Stiers takes over the role of the Penguin from Paul Williams who played the character in Batman: The Animated Series.
What is significant about Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman?
There are three very significant things to note about Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman:
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman features the first and only appearance of the Batwoman in the DC Animated Universe. The character did not appear in Batman: The Animated Series or any of the connected DCAU shows, and was never referenced again.
- The costume design of the Batwoman and the costume design of Batman in Batman Beyond share a similar aesthetic. This would suggest that the Batwoman’s outfit inspired Bruce Wayne when he was designing his futuristic Bat-suit.
- The home video release of Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman includes an animated Catwoman short called Chase Me.
Do you need to watch Batman: The Animated Series to understand Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman?
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman was conceived as a standalone tale. It is set within the DC Animated Universe, but the events of the movie do not impact the universe’s overall continuity.
If you have never watched Batman: The Animated Series, or some (or all) of the shows within the DCAU, but you wish to watch Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, you can do so without encountering any difficulties.
Is Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman good?
- IMDb gives Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman a rating of 6.7/10.
- Rotten Tomatoes does not currently provide a Tomatometer rating for Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman. The Audience Score is 47%.
I hope the above information about Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman has proved useful. Should you want to know more about the DCAU, please check out my post: What is the best order to watch the DC Animated Universe?
If you would like to read more Batman-related posts, then please take a look at one of the recommended reads below.