The Riddler is one of the Caped Crusader’s most iconic villains, alongside the likes of Catwoman, Joker, and the Penguin. The character has been a puzzling problem for Batman since he made his comic book debut in 1948 (via Detective Comics issue #140), and has appeared in various iterations of the Batman mythology, from games to cartoons and movies.
But how many Batman movies feature the Riddler?
Every Batman movie featuring the Riddler
The Riddler made his film debut in the 1966 picture, Batman: The Movie. In this feature-length film, the character was played by Frank Gorshin, reprising his role from the ‘60s Batman TV show.
Almost thirty years passed before the Riddler made his next appearance on film. Jim Carrey took on the role for a scene-stealing turn in Batman Forever (1995).
From here the Riddler appeared in a succession of animated pictures, often popping up in cameos or supporting roles. He featured more significantly in Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman: Hush before switching to live-action for a part in The Batman (2022), played by Paul Dano.
If you are interested in checking out past interpretations of Edward Nygma/Riddler, here is a list of all of the Riddler’s movie appearances:
- Batman: The Movie (1966)
- Batman Forever (1995)
- Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010)
- Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite (2013)
- Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014)
- Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016)
- Batman vs. Two-Face (2017)
- The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
- Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2018)
- Batman: Hush (2019)
- The Batman (2022)
I hope this list of Riddler movie appearances has proved useful. Should you want further information about characters appearing in the Batman movie series, please take a look around I’ll Get Drive-Thru, or alternatively check out one of the recommended reads below.
- Thirteen best Riddler quotes from Batman Forever
- What is the best order for the Catwoman movies?
- All 55 villains in The Lego Batman Movie