Directed by Peter Rida Michail and Aaron Horvath, Teen Titans GO! to the Movies is a feature-length spin-off of animated TV series, Teen Titans GO!. The movie – which opened in cinemas during summer 2018 – promised all the fun of the TV series, only on a much larger scale.
But what was the critical reception to the movie? Did the critics like it?
In this post, I am taking a look at the response of the critics, when the movie originally opened in cinemas. Below is a selection of review snippets, all published in 2018, to give you an idea about the general mood surrounding the film.
Teen Titans GO! to the Movies review round-up
Here is what the critics said about Teen Titans GO! to the Movies back in 2018:
- Matt Singer of Screen Crush awarded Teen Titans GO! to the Movies a score of 7 (out of 10) and said: “Although Teen Titans Go! to the Movies is ostensibly about spoofing superheroes and their hoariest clichés, the film is loaded from top to bottom with loving Easter eggs from DC Comics history (The Challengers of the Unknown!). As a result, it’s actually a far more affectionate portrait of comic books — and a more persuasive argument in favour of their escapist pleasures — than any of the so-called “serious” DC movies.”
- Scott Mendelson of Forbes, called Teen Titans GO! to the Movies “Deadpool for kids (but better)”. He added: “It’s mostly fun, my kids liked it and the final line is a grand troll.”
- Owen Gleiberman of Variety said: “Teen Titans GO! is fun in a defiantly unsuper way, and that’s a recommendation.”
- Robert Kojder of Flickering Myth was also a fan of Teen Titans GO! to the Movies and said: “It should be encouraged for adults to take their children to Teen Titans Go! To the Movies. Like most good animated movies, there’s something in it for everyone.”
- And finally, Laura Prudom of IGN called Teen Titans GO! to the Movies “pure, mindless fun.” She added: “Teen Titans GO! to the Movies is bonkers in the best way – a gleefully weird, frequently witty ride that has no desire to take itself – or any other superhero movie – too seriously. It’s not essential viewing unless you’re a fan of the TV series, but comic book fans will find plenty to appreciate, even if it’s not the most original take on the genre.”
So, there you go, it was pretty positive stuff! The general feeling from critics was very encouraging – and I have to agree with what was said.
Teen Titans GO! to the Movies is a fun movie. I loved it back in 2018 and I still love it today.
Thanks for stopping by I’ll Get Drive-Thru to read this post about the Teen Titans Go! to the Movies reviews. I hope the reviews have proved useful.
For more posts, please take a look around this blog, or check out one of the recommended reads below. On I’ll Get Drive-Thru you will find a large number of DC-related posts.
- Remember the Teen Titans GO! to the Movies posters?
- Batman Ninja: What did the critics say?
- Psychoanalysis in Batman: The Animated Series